Some time ago my Android’s camera stopped working. Today T-Mobile sent me new G1 as temporary phone until my is fixed. But this “new” G1 is really brand new – with original 1.1 firmware. And I can’t wait for OTA as it could take weeks.
You’ll need following files:
For every file repeat following steps (remember to keep file order same as above):
- copy file to SD card’s root as update.zip
- power off the phone
- power on the phone while holding Home key
- when an attention icon is displayed, press Alt+L and then Alt+S
- wait for update to finish
- press Home+Back to reboot when instructed to do so
- wait for the phone to power off (or on, this depend on current firmware version), there might also be an icon with arrow and memory chip displayed for some time, don’t panic!
- repeat steps above with next file in a row
Don’t be surprised that maintenance screen changes between updates, it starts as simple, key driven screen but after second update it can be also controlled by the trackball.
After applying above mentioned steps to all files you should have latest 1.6 (aka Cupcake) installed on your G1.